Is a 24/7 oxygen considered critical care?

Millster asked...

I would like to know if the use of oxygen 24/7 considered critical care. My electric company says that because I am on a concentrator and not ventilator I am not covered under the critical care program. I am told to have a back up portables. These are good when you go out for short periods of time, but when in your home you need a free flow.

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

There is much discussion going on about proper reimbursement for oxygen therapy.  Some say that the lobbyist who lobby congress for insurance are not informed enough about the real needs of patients. 

Write down what your need is. Why are you on the concentrator instead of the critical care venitlator? You need to make your needs known both to the insurers and to the people who deliver and maintain the equipment.   

Also, get on the web and find chat rooms where people are discussing this topic. You can become an expert in your own condition and perhaps can help others as well. The very best wishes for you to succeed are coming your way from me to you.