(800) 973-1540

Is having oral sex during chemotherapy treatment safe?

64px

Answers
64px
Bruce A. Feinberg, MD, chief of the Georgia Cancer Specialists, is an oncologist and the author of Breast Cancer Answers and Colon Cancer Answers and...

Yes, it is safe for a woman to have oral sex with a man who is undergoing chemotherapy. The cancer itself is not contagious. In general, the drugs that are See also:
Should Cancer Patients Take a Chemo Vacation?

See all 906 questions about Cancer
used during chemotherapy are not excreted in semen in quantities that could be dangerous for the woman. Some chemotherapy drugs, however, can be present in very small quantities in semen in the days just after chemo, so if you notice anything or feel concerned, you might want to use a condom during the 48 hours just after treatment. This may not seem like the easiest question to raise with your doctor, but if you ask, the doctor can give you more specific information about the particular chemotherapy drugs prescribed and whether they are excreted in semen.

64px

Some say that the taste is awful during chemo up to about 48 hours after the treatment

Dawn Walker answered...

When you are on chemotherapy you should not have oral sex . Most patients are advised they have to flush commodes 2 times to make sure it is safe for the next. Oral sex before chemo is not advisable. Next to tobacco, virus is the top killer of people and it is on an increase. Of course aids explains why the figures are staggering. It would be a good idea your dr. check both mouth and vaginal area for clemedia. It's not so much you can "catch" cancer, however it is a different thing when it comes to exchanging bodily fluid. You may get a virus that will develop cancer or something similar to aids. There are so many sad things that cancer does to a person.

64px

I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE ANSWER TO THE ABOVE QUESTION ????

MANUSH

64px

Yes, but what about if it's the WOMAN doing chemo and the man keeps bugging her for oral sex on him? Or ANY sex for that matter. I really just want to be left alone while I feel so bad....

64px

It's kind of appalling in this day and age that Dr. Bruce A. Feinberg, a doctor who has written about breast cancer, would answer the question "Is having oral sex during chemotherapy treatment safe?" with an answer solely focused on a woman performing the act on a man. What about the reverse? Or a same sex couple? We aren't in the 1950's anymore. Perhaps that is why only 47% found his comment helpful.

canusnurse answered...

as an oncology nurse, it is advisable to avoid sexual intercourse of any kind for up to 48 hours after treatment; however, condoms may be safely used before that time. The small amount of chemotherapy that would be present in secretions is usually not harmful but why take a chance?

Lhamo55 answered...

From Cancer.org on chemo safety. I too am appalled that the good doctor presumes only a male would be the receiver... and then gives an inadequate answer.

CTR answered...

None of you seem too concerned that another group/scenario was left out also. My husband underwent chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma '07 to '08. I absolutely gave him oral sex anytime he was up for it. He was going through hell (not that I wasn't too, as his caregiver and partner.) We both needed that ability to sexually bond throughout that time, probably more than ever before. And I'm his husband too. Now that we established that, I can move on to say that I'm fine, unaffected by swallowing his semen during all those months. Yes, I could taste some of the chemo when he ejaculated. In fact, I may have even felt a lift from the massive dose of steroid they gave him before each chemo infusion. As I said, I'm completely fine and unharmed from it, and it's been 6 years since I ingested his semen within 24 hours of nearly every chemotherapy infusion he was given all those months. This was no secret to any of his doctors and not one of them told us it would be unsafe for us to have unprotected sex of any type during that time.