Is it possible to challenge an obituary?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

I am legally married for over 20 years, but separated (abandoned) from my husband who lives with his married mistress, complicated, I know. His mother passed away and the obituary lists her as his fiance and her children from her current marriage as "the grandchildren". No mention of me or our biological children. Is there a way to challenge the obituary and/or request a retraction and/or correction?

Expert Answers

Rebekah Peoples, CFSP, CPC, Is a licensed funeral director and embalmer. She is passionate about serving others and believes that giving clients honest, accurate information empowers them to create tributes and services that are meaningful and appropriate. Her tips about funerals and life can be found at

Relationships can really be, as you said, complicated. The newspaper only publishes the information that is given to them, either by the funeral home or by a family member of the deceased.

The best thing for you to do at this point is to call the newspaper, explain the circumstances and ask them what they can do.