How do I go about notifying creditors of a death?

How do I notify creditors of a death and submit claims in the deceased's estate?

Assuming you are the executor of a will that is being administered in the United States, the law provides a fairly forthright procedure for notifying creditors and potential creditors.

First, you must send notices to all creditors you know about, as gleaned through a search of their personal papers and bills.

And second, you must publish a notice--called a Legal Notice--in the local newspaper where the person lived and was likely to incur debts. The purpose of this is to notify potential creditors--those you don't know about directly--of the death and their need to alert you about debts the deceased person owes them.