What are some solutions for nose bleeds?

I get night-time nose bleeds only during the cold months of the year. What are some possible solutions for them?

Usually, this occurs because your nose gets too dry from the heater. The tissue inside your nose likes to be moist; if it dries out too much, it gets irritated, and will easily bleed.

The easiest way to help this problem is to get a humidifier for your bedroom and use it at night during the winter months. This will add moisture to the air, which will keep your nose from drying out and bleeding.

If you cannot afford a humidifier, you could also try to use nasal saline regularly to keep your nose moist. You can also crack a window in your bedroom to allow moist air inside.

Hope this helps!

Marciamspt answered...

Hi there. There are two types of nosebleeds. Anterior and posterior. Jennifer is right about the humidifier... other natural remedies that are free and save you money - eliminate sugary sweets and quite smoking if you do. Smoking dries out the nasal membranes which can add to already dried membranes in the winter months!

Marcia Oliver MSPT, CPT

Ecocleaninfo.com answered...

The humidifier is a great first step.
Another possible solution is extra vitamin C. My pediatrician recommended extra C for my DD and it worked!

I have been wondering about this too, having bloody nose "blows" everyday this winter. It does seem to have something to do with central heating and dry air. I've just been on holiday in a warm place and the nose bleeding stopped after a couple of days. Now I feel there is nothing to worry about.

I have found that spraying nasal congestion spray into the passage works. it constricts the blood vessels,

As so my doctor suggested, I TRIED IT AND IT HAS WORKED FOR YEARS FOR ME NOW FOR OVER 10 YEARS.

NOT AS DAILY USE BUT A QUICK REMEDY FOR STOPPING THE BLEEDING!!

To the anon who has been using nasal decongestant sprays for the last 10 years: Spray decongestants are addictive. Which is why they have warnings about how long to take them. Think about it, if you've been using decongestant sprays for 10 years, you have bigger issues than dry membranes. Saline solutions, netipots, humidifiers, even a cup of water in the room is safer and effective.

Jeana09 answered...

I too am a nurse practitioner, only in pediatrics....the nasal membranes are the same in children as adults and thus have the same problems of becoming overly dry in the winter months. The answer, nasal saline on a q-tip, rub on the membranes, before bed and naps, etc. (as long as the furnace runs throughout the winter, etc...).. DEFINITELY DO NOT USE NASAL DECONGESTANTS for the reasons previously mentioned!! Please, this is a Must!!
And if a humidifier is used, get a cool mist and it MUST be kept clean, as the directions say..... this, too, is a must and is "work", so if you are not going to be able to do this, then, just use the nasal saline.