Where can I find an activity center in my area for individuals mildly affected with Alzheimer's?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

My spouse who has been diagnosed with early onset dementia also has COPD which make much outside or strenuous activities difficult. He has also shown signs of depression and loss of confidence. I would love to find an activity center or facility in my area of NW Ark. which is geared to more mildly affected Alzheimers or Dementia patients....Would appreciate any leads you might be able to provide.

Expert Answers

Deborah Cooke is a gerontologist specializing in dementia, delirium, caregiving, and senior fitness. She is a certified dementia care provider and specialist through the Alzheimer's Foundation of America. Cooke currently manages several multidisciplinary programs to enhance well-being for hospitalized seniors and other vulnerable patients at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. She also serves on the board of NewYork-Presbyterian's Patient and Family Education Advisory Committee. She has 18 years of experience working with the aging and caregiver communities.

Hi. I'm glad to hear you are thinking of alternatives to provide an active and productive lifestyle for your spouse.

I suggest trying your local area agency on aging to see if they have any resources. The website for the NW Arkansas "chapter" is http://www.aaanwar.org/

Likewise you may try the Elder Care Locator http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx

And...the Alzheimer's Association may help. They often have their own programs to meet this need. http://www.alz.org/alzokar/

There are many resources, but I would recommend starting here first.

In addition, ask around the community to see if any senior centers, adult day programs, or Churches/Synagogues have anything.

I hope this is a helpful start.