How can I curb my husband's desire to take drives?

Grandcayman asked...

My husband is in moderate stage. He wants to go all the time amd I don't like to go unless we are going someplace. He doesn't care as long as we are riding. Do you have any ideas on how to curb this with gas at $4 a gal.

Monica is an occupational therapist and designer of adapted dementia products through her company MindStart. Activities for Persons With Memory Loss. In addition, she works with the Minnesota-North Dakota Alzheimer's Association and the University of Minnesota on dementia issues. MindStart provides age-appropriate and stage-appropriate dementia activities, such as games, puzzles, and books. The items are simplified to meet the needs of various stages of dementia while remaining dignified and familiar in appearance

Here are some suggestions I have for your husband with Alzheimer's who wants to go.

1. He may have energy to expend; perhaps more walks together or an inside stationary bike may direct his energy in other ways.

2. If he asks to go in the car, you may tell your husband that the car needs an oil change, so it is not a good time to go.

3. You may have a friend or neighbor who wouldn't mind taking him on short car rides, occasionally.

Hope these might be helpful.

Bjshea answered...

My husband also wants to go all the time. I will often take him to the store, it's close, we park and walk around inside.
Also there have been many times, when I am just too tired to go out so I will take him out to the car, once inside, ask him where we need to go, he just says 'I don't need to go anywhere, I'm just going with you" or I don't want to go anywhere" and to this I respond, I would really like to stay at home for a bit, do you want to go back into the house. 90 % of the time, he agrees with this. I don't think he really realizes that we didn't actually go anywhere. Hope this helps

Grandcayman answered...

I have began to carry my husband to a lake that has boats and people with jet skis and we get a hamburger and go sit under the trees. I think my husband would know that we do not go anyplace. It could be just around the block. I may try that next ti me and see how he reacts. Thanks

Rvr85 answered...

I AM HAVING THE PROBLEM OF WANTING TO GO GO MOST OF THE TIME I JUST SAY NO HE HAS BEEN TOLD NOT TO DRIVE BUT HE DOES IF HE GOES ALONE IN HIS HOME AREA DOESN'T SEEM TO GET LOST IN HOME AREA SO FAR NO PROBLEM WHEN I AM DRIVING IN BIGGER AREA HE DOESEN'T KNOW WHWRE HE IS RVM

Grandcayman answered...

I have started carrying my husband to Adult daycare and that has sufficed his going in the car most of the time. Daycare is a wonderful thing. He is tired at night when he comes home and does not mention going. I still carry him on short trips but not 3-4 times a week.