What kind of doctor should we see for stroke recovery issues?

A fellow caregiver asked...

My husband is 60 years old. He had a stroke 6 years ago caused by a blood clot in the carotid artery. He recovered really well but for the last 2 or 3 years he has been getting a lot weaker on the left side which was affected by the stroke,  What type of doctor. would be most helpful for him?

Expert Answer

James Castle, M.D. is a neurologist at NorthShore University HealthSystem (affiliated with The University of Chicago) and an expert on strokes.

I would recommend you start by seeing a stroke doctor.  Your husband should not have any worsening of his left side this far out from a stroke.  It sounds like he needs to have a review of his case to make sure that there is no active problem making him worse. 

Beyond that, seeing a Physiatrist (or Physical Medicine Doctor) is often very helpful for recovering lost function after a stroke.  Given the amount of time that has passed since the stroke, it may not provide much benefit, but you never know until you try.