Would a move drastically effect my mother's Alzheimer's disease?

Laurina asked...

My brother move my mother from SJ to LV about 3 years ago. I was out of the country on business for a year. I was told about this afterthe move. Later she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 1 year ago. My brother decided to move her into an assisted living home without talking to me. I am currently a in home support caregiver who has been trained in caring for Alzheimer & handicapped patients. I suggested that mom be moved in with me to save money until the time she needs a nursing home. My brothers answer was don't worry she has enough moey and the move will be on hard on her mind. Her alzheimer's is mild at this time but he plays it off as it worst han you think. You only see her on short visits, My question is would a mov drascitlly affec her mind and health?

Helene Bergman, LMSW, is a certified geriatric care manager (C-ASWCM) and owner of Elder Care Alternatives, a professional geriatric care management business in New York City. She consults with nursing homes and daycare programs to develop specialized programs for Alzheimer's patients.

Moving a person with Alzheimer's may or may not have adverse affects. It depends upon the stage of the disease and whether one is still oriented to place- whether he or she retains familiarity with her environment. It depends upon one's prior adapation to change and whether in fact she has moved often and how well she coped with the moves. It depends upon where one is moving from and where she is moving to in terms of quality of life. Usually, if one is moving to a very supportive environment and appropriate setting with caring people the move can have positive effects. Alzheimer patients respond to attention and companionship. Initially, your mom might be confused and need more direction and assistance but this will be temporary. The move will not hasten the progression of the disease.