What can I expect regarding moving my dad from one nursing home to another in a different state?

What can I expect regarding moving my Dad from a nursing home in Arizona to one in Virginia? He is sharp mentally, had a stroke with paralysis on one side and is positive about moving closer to family.

Donna Quinn Robbins is the author of Moving Mom and Dad and On the Road of Life, Drive Yourself. She helps individuals, families, retirement communities, and corporations make successful transitions through her company, Ultimate Moves. Robbins is an active public speaker on the topic of senior transition services and has appeared on NBC's Today Show.

The most important thing you can do is have a discussion before the move about expectations you each have for the amount of time you as a child can spend with your father. The worst situation that I see is when parents move to be closer to a child and then find that child is not able to give them the time they expected.

Talk to your dad, and discuss how much time you do have to spend with him, and how much time he thinks you should spend with him. Come to a conclusion that works for both of you.

It’s a great idea for him to move close to you if it's what you both want. My mother had nine strokes and she stayed where she was because of my sister, but I would have loved to have had her close.