How do we arrange to move a body from Puerto Rico to New York for burials?

3 answers | Last updated: Oct 09, 2016
Geoffh asked...

My father in law has passed away in Puerto Rico and we need to get him back to New York. Does anyone have any idea as to how to go about this?

Expert Answers

Rebekah Peoples, CFSP, CPC, Is a licensed funeral director and embalmer. She is passionate about serving others and believes that giving clients honest, accurate information empowers them to create tributes and services that are meaningful and appropriate. Her tips about funerals and life can be found at

Surprisingly, this is easier than you probably think. Call the funeral home in New York that you want to handle the services there and they will take care of all the arrangements.

Funeral directors have a network that allows them to easily contact a funeral home in Puerto Rico to arrange for them to pick his body up and bring it into their care to do whatever is necessary. The two funeral homes will work out an agreeable travel schedule to get his body from Puerto Rico to the US for burial in a reasonably short period of time.

Be sure to ask the funeral home in New York to keep you informed each step of the way until your father-in-law's body is safely there.

Professionally, I know several funeral directors in that state. Feel free to email me at if I can help in any way.

Community Answers

Kidme56 answered...

Condolence for losing your father.Check if your father have a funeral Plan either in Puerto Rico or New York.Is your father a Veteran? ,If He is a Veteran then you have to notify the Veteran's Affair for help. If not Check with friends and family in Puerto Rico a reliable Funeral home that could transport your father and ask how much will it cost and enquire the requirements in New York City needs when the body arrives there. Determine if you need a regular casket or a metal like those who are transported internationally and ask if your payment will include embalming and airline transportation excluded.

A fellow caregiver answered...

Puerto Rico - FUNERARIAS / Funeral homes - PANTEONES / Pantheons - LAPIDA / Memorabilia - CREMACION / cremation - LOTES / cementery plots - TRASLADOS en y fuera de PR / transfers inside & outside PR

Nos especializamos en ofrecerle consejeria especializada y facilitamos costos y proveedores para la compra de Pre-arreglos Funerales y Compra de propiedades de Cementerio en Puerto Rico. Compre con descuentos desde la comodidad de su Hogar, para que pager mas caro, es lo unico Seguro que tenemos en la vida.

We specialize on specialicized counseling about funeral & cementery pre-arrangement costs and providers. Why you to pay more and cannot buy and save??? It's the unique assured we have on life! Buy today from the commodity of your home.

Pagos mensuales desde $35 mensuales Monthly payments starting lows $35

Llame HOY / call TODAY 787-630-0548 /