(800) 973-1540

How do you move a body to be buried in another state?

1 answer | Last updated: Feb 11, 2011
TJN asked...

How do you move a body to be buried in another state? My parents-in-law reside in Kansas, but wish to be buried in Montana. If one of them dies in Kansas, can the family transport a body to Montana? What are requirements, e.g., embalming?


Caring.com User - Barbara Kate Repa
Caring.com Expert
Send a Hug or Prayer
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in...
50% helpful
Barbara Kate Repa answered...

You were right to connect up the dots between transporting a dead body and embalming, as it is one of the rare occasions in which the law may require it. See also:
Can a lawyer deny changing of a trust?

See all 1061 questions about Common Family Conflicts
Most states do have laws that require that a dead human body must be embalmed by a licensed embalmer before it can be transported to another state by common carrier, such as a train or plane -- and Kansas is one of them.

Some argue that you could get around the embalming requirement by transporting the body yourself. Contact the Funeral Consumer Association nearest to your in-laws, which is in Kansas City.

But if you and yours are content to go the embalming route, a reputable Kansas funeral director should be able to help arrange both the embalming and transporting.