What can be done for mouth sensitivity after a stroke?

Graygraduate asked...

After my stroke the right side of my lips tongue and right thumb and forefinger was sometimes cold and extremely sensitive. Now after six months the sensitivity seems to have increased and the right ide of my lips and tongue burn,, pulsate, so sensitive that I can't put any type of moisturizer or lip stick on my lips. My lips and tongue feel as if they we scolded with something hot. What can I do?

Often times, after a stroke, people will get "phantom" sensations in their face or body. The medical terms often used to describe these sensations are "allodynia" and "dysesthesia". They are due to an interruption of the normal sensory pathways to the brain. These sensations can sometimes improve significantly over time. However, if they do not, and remain troublesome to you, I would recommend trying a medication to relieve the problem. Gabapentin and amitriptyline are inexpensive and often very effective. Lyrica and Cymbalta are more expensive, but can also provide helpful relief. In some cases, I also recommend accupuncture, but I am not sure that the accupuncturist would be able to help for sensations coming from the inside of the mouth. He/she would likely be able to help the sensations on the chin and in your thumb.

Ashleycodes answered...

to be able to relieve the hypersensitivity felt after stroke.you have to do desensitization techniques. a qualified occupational therapist, speech pathologist or even a physical therapist may be able to help you with that problem. what we usually do is try to desynthesize the area involved. maybe what you could do at home would be to massage the area that is sensitive if you cannot tolerate the sensation maybe you could start with just light touch to the area.when you could tolerate it move to touching it for a few minutes, then massage. it would take you a few tries before you are able to tolerate each stage just continue doing it until your brain recognizes the sensation as not painful.hope this helps