(800) 973-1540

How can I get my mother with Alzheimer's to stop holding saliva in her mouth?

64px

Mom has had AD for a number of years now. Recently she has been holding her saliva in her mouth and I cannot get her to spit it out. Any suggestions?

Answers
Caring.com User - Jytte Lokvig
Jytte Lokvig, PhD, coaches families and professional caregivers and designs life-enrichment programs and activities for patients with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia. Her workshops...
Jytte Lokvig answered...

Because of her disease, your mother may not grasp the concept of spitting. Rather than trying to get her to spit out the excess saliva, give her a bite of something she really likes, so she will automatically swallow the saliva along with it.

Many medications cause problems with either dry mouth or extra salivation. Have a long talk with her pharmacist or go to an online resource such as WebMD.com/drugs or drugs.com for interactions and side-effects of all your mother's prescription and over-the-counter medications.