(800) 973-1540

What will help with arthritis pain?

64px

My internal medicine doctor said methotrexate and plaquenil are helping her patients that have osteoarthritis (not rheumatoid arthritis). Are there any good studies that show these drugs do help osteoarthritis? The rheumatologist I had gone to said I should take plaquenil or methotrexate for inflammation in my arteries. Are there any good studies that show this is true? I do have a positive rheumatoid factor, but no joint erosions and my x-rays show I have osteoarthritis, not rheumatoid arthritis. My stomach can't take NSAIDS or aspirin and tylenol does nothing for the pain. The doctor wants me to only take one tramadol every other day. This is not adequate for my pain. What do you recommend for the pain?

Answers
chere answered...

Find another doctor. If the doctor had to live with the pain, I am sure they would take more that what you have been prescribed.

inpain answered...

I went to a new rheumatologist who agreed I have osteoarthritis not rheumatoid arthritis. He prescribed 3 tramadol a day. He also agreed that there is not enough evidence to prescribe plaquenil or methotrexate for arterial inflammation. They used to think NSAIDs would help arterial inflamamtion and doctors prescribed them for that purpose, but when they did the studies they found the opposite.