What could be the reason for the metallic taste in my mouth?

Nishka asked...

I have had a metallic taste in my mouth for eight months now. I have previously slipped and fell on ice hitting my head quite severly. Could this be the reason for the taste and is there a cure?

Please see your doctor to discuss this concern. There are several things that can cause a lingering taste or odor in the mouth including gum or dental conditions, medications, diet, eating habits, and intestinal conditions. It's possible your head injury played a role. You need to see a medical doctor for an examination and diagnosis. Don't leave this up to guess work.

Alex ander answered...

Often, pine nuts can cause this. In fact, it's now somewhat of a phenomenon: "Pine Mouth." I've had it several times and it can last for days, sometimes up to a week.

"But ever since last winter, an increasing number of people have fallen prey to a curious problem with them: pine mouth. That's when eating pine nuts leaves you with a metallic taste in your mouth that can last for weeks afterward, and make eating or drinking anything an unpleasant experience."

See more here: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2009/05/got-pine-mouth.html

Transitionseldercare answered...

You should see an Oral Surgeon. It might be connected to dehydration, and the doctor can palpate your gums to detect if that is the problem.