Is stage 4 melanoma terminal?

Good juju asked...

I don't understand the stages of cancer - if you have stage 4 melanoma is it considered terminal?

Jeremyawright16 answered...

not sure

Docl answered...

Stage IV melanoma cancer is very serious and should be under the care of an oncologist familiar with advanced therapies and options of treatment of this cancer, as most chemotherapies don't have much success but immunotherapies offer significantly more hope; for example interferon treatment alone improves survival by 10% - which means alot if you are in that 10%! Although the prognosis is considered "poor" by numbers, there are people that have beat Stage IV melanoma!

Parnami answered...

8 years ago, I lost my left lung to metastatic Melanoma (stage 4). I chose to participate in a clinical trial for a vaccine and, I'm happy to say, have remained cancer free ever since. I'm thrilled to state, "stage 4" is NOT a death sentence!!