Is there Medicare shoes for diabetics?

3 answers | Last updated: Nov 27, 2016
Nuhusker95 asked...

I hear there are Medicare diabetic shoes? Is it true that Medicare covers diabetic shoes?

Expert Answers

Yes, it's true. Medicare Part B can pay for most of the cost of therapeutic shoes for someone whose diabetes has caused serious foot problems. If you have diabetes, Medicare can cover therapeutic shoes if you are being treated by a physician under a comprehensive diabetes care plan, and your doctor or podiatrist prescribes the shoes because you have either: a partial or complete amputation; a history of foot ulcers; calluses that can lead to ulcers; nerve damage that can lead to calluses; poor circulation; or a deformed foot.

If you meet these conditions, each year Medicare can cover one pair of depth-inlay shoes and three pairs of inserts, or one pair of custom-molded shoes and three pairs of inserts (if you can't wear depth-inlay shoes because of a deformity). The shoes have to be fitted and provided by a podiatrist or other doctor, or a licensed pedorthist, orthotist, or prosthetist who participates in Medicare.

If you meet the conditions, Medicare Part B will pay 80 percent of the Medicare-approved cost of the shoes (after you've paid your yearly Medicare Part B deductible of $135). You're responsible for the other 20 percent. Check to make sure that the provider of the shoes accepts Medicare assignment of the Medicare-approved amount as the full amount for the shoes. If not, the shoe provider could charge you much more than the Medicare-approved amount. If the provider doesn't accept assignment, shop around for another provider who does. To see Medicare's explanation of these rules, look at its special publication Medicare Coverage of Diabetes Supplies & Services.

Community Answers

Katiei answered...

Great answer from Mr. Matthews, I hope it helps answer many questions-

To add to Joseph's comments,  please understand that there are only certain shoes that qualify- they must be extra depth and made of natural materials.  They must have tie or velcro closures and the insoles that Joseph talked about must be heat molded to your individual foot.

The best place to get this kind of service and quality products is at a facility like (or similar to) Foot Solutions, who has trained Pedorthists and Certified Pedorthists that are able to fit the proper shoe for your foot size and type and to mold the insoles in a correct or proper method to ensure proper fit.

Foot Solutions personell are also trained to do follow up on their products that they fit to these medically fragile feet, thus insuring that any adjustments that may need to be made can be made. 

So, purchasing your diabetic shoes and inserts from some facility or person that does not have this training or the variety of shoes and the types of equipment needed to mold the inserts is risking your foot health.

I hope this also helps!

A fellow caregiver answered...

Good luck in finding anyone that accepts medicare assignment!