How do I become a Medicaid paid caregiver?

A fellow caregiver asked...

I'm a in-home caretaker for a 95-year old lady, I get paid under the table very little money. What do I need to do in order for the state to pay me?

Expert Answer

The state can only pay you if it's paying benefits to the woman you're caretaker for. If the woman you take care of gets Medicaid benefits and qualifies for home care, you might be able to receive payments from Medicaid. But you can receive such payments only if you're a certified home care provider. In order to get certified, you have to go through training that meets state and Medicaid requirements. Such training is often available for low fees at local community colleges or adult schools. One place to start finding out about getting certified is your county's local social services or human services department; ask them about Medicaid caregiver certification. Or, you can use an Internet search engine; in the search field, enter the name of your state plus the words "Medicaid paid caregiver."