Can low estrogen levels cause a low white blood count?

1 answer | Last updated: Apr 15, 2010
Carmen53 asked...

My wife has been diagnosed with having a low white blood cell count. She survived ovarian cancer in 1993 and was recently taken off hormone replacement therapy. Now her estrogen levels are low. Could this be the reason for the low white blood cell count?

Linda Ackerman, R.N. has clinical experience in oncology, women's health, and medical nursing. She has been practicing for more than 20 years and is a licensed registered nurse in both Florida and Wisconsin. In addition, she serves as a board member of Breast Cancer Recovery and the Wisconsin Cancer Council.

First of all, I am happy to hear your wife has survived ovarian cancer since 1993. I am not aware of a correlation between low estrogen levels and a low white blood count. However, given her history of ovarian cancer, I am assuming she underwent some sort of treatment for the ovarian cancer, such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or a combination of all three.

**If your wife is continuing to see an oncologist I would recommend asking him/her to review her past medical history and her current medical status. Specifically, review the type of treatment she underwent and any trending that may have occurred over the last couple of years specific to her white blood count and her red blood count.

**If she is not seeing an oncologist I would recommend an appointment with either a hematologist or an oncologist, to evaluate her past medical history and current medical status.

**Finally, there are many factors that could affect a low white blood count, including a viral infection, medications, and there are over 20 other types of medical conditions that could be associated with low white blood counts. Mayo Clinic[]

**I believe you and your wife would benefit from seeking out a physician that can provide a thorough exam, multiple testing and review her medical history, to help identify the cause of the low white count and be able to provide a treatment plan to treat this diagnosis. I hope the link I provided will be a helpful guide when speaking to a physician.