(800) 973-1540

Can you lose a house to a nursing home?

vj6464 asked...

Can you lose a house to a nursing home? I divorced two years ago, and my mother offered me her house to come live with her and take care of her. This has been very draining as I also have congestive heart failure, diabetes, and other health problems (I'm legally disabled). I'm just more mobile and she is using a walker with difficulty. I get no pay as she's my mother and I don't want it. My worry is that this is my home now and in my name and I don't want the nursing home to take it if she has to go into one. She has vascular dementia and is getting worse. I'm trying so hard to keep her at home as long as possible but she is getting difficult . I get tired really easily with the heart failure and I injured my back trying to lift her when she fell. She is very weak and has incontinence problems and it''s getting to be more than I can handle and I'm having a very difficult time with depression. Mother can not do anything for herself. I get her water, food, and so on and take it to her. She can usually make it to the bathroom. She can't bathe herself and has trouble dressing and will sleep in the same outfit a few days in a row. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want the nursing home to take her home. I'm hiring sitters to help when possible. My big question is, will I loose my home if she goes into a nursing home? There are no other children. Thank you.

Answers
alohamaria66 answered...

Hello.By law, they can take any asset with your moms name on it ,unless it ALL was signed completely over to you 7 yrs back. Now,if she had been in the Military and you put her in a Military Nursing home, you get to keep it all. That is the only way to Not Lose anything. IThe 7 yr Law really Sucks..Losing all the inheritance,including Life Insurance,The will does'nt even apply at this point.

64px

Be sure to set all Life insurance into a Living trust with her favorite mortuary, I has to sell and turn over the funds to the nursing home of my family members car and home. I also had to liquidate all certificates of deposit and other assets. A big hug to you vj6464. May the Lord bless you.