What is the average life expectancy for a heart disease patient after a bypass surgery?

Badbonehealing asked...

After a "typical" bypass - with the person being in reasonable physical condition otherwise, is there an "average" life expectancy?  I am asking for a very good friend that I am concerned about.

James Frank is Assistant Professor of Medicine and Director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the V.A. Medical Center in San Francisco.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to answer this question over the internet. Your friend's life expectancy depends on many different factors, including what type of bypass surgery she had and how old she was when she had the bypass. Depending on the type of bypass surgery, the grafts can stay open for many years, which may be longer than your friend would live normally. So for some people, bypass surgery might be a cure. Your friend's doctor will be able to discuss her prognosis with her.

Conan2007 answered...

I had "quintuple by-pass surgery on 3-2-05--I was 57 at the time and now I am 68--in my case, I try my best to eat smart (no fried foods), and I walk 30 minutes a day--I had one artery that was 90% blocked--the other 4 arteries were 50-60%--I am VERY lucky so far--I also pray every day for another day.

Louise krekic answered...

To conan2007, much more physical activity than 30 min walking is needed. Fried food have little to do with heart disease, unless that is all you eat. Heart disease is mostly genetic and the damage od arteries is from insulin resistance and childhood infections that caused high fevers. Insuline resistance screws up our metabolism and infections damage the lining of the heart and blood vessels. Once the lining becomes raspy, the plaque deposits on them much easier. Check the new research on heart disease.