My father fell in a nursing home and I'm wondering if the nursing home should have liability insurance to cover his medical costs?

Davidg asked...

My father fell in a nursing home and I'm wondering if the nursing home should have liability insurance to cover his medical costs?

To find out what insurance coverage the facility has, speak with -- or even better, write a letter to -- the facility administrator asking for information about their regular and medical liability insurance coverage. You will probably be referred to the facility's insurance company claims department. If the administrator refuses to give you the information or stalls around, contact the nursing home ombudsman who can assist you in getting that information. If you haven't had any previous contact with the ombudsman at your father's nursing home, ask the staff there who the ombudsman is and how to make contact. Or, if you'd rather, you can go to a Web page on the site of the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center, which can direct you to the state ombudsman office where you father's nursing home is; that state office will then give you the name and contact information of the ombudsman for your father's nursing home.

If your father was seriously injured, you may want to consider hiring, or at least consulting with, an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you handle your father's claim with the insurance company. You may be able to get a recommendation to a good personal injury lawyer through any other lawyer you or your family or friends know. Or, you can contact the National Senior Citizens Law Center at www.nsclc.org or by phone at 202-289-6976 and ask for a referral to a lawyer who might handle a nursing home physical injury case.