Is a large bruise from a stent closure be cause for concern?

Weez asked...

I had two stents put in one week ago after suffering a mild heart attack.  One day I had two into one artery, stayed over and on the second day had one more into another artery.  The first went well.  The second was okay except I have a major black and blue thigh almost my entire thigh from the closure.  Could this be serious? Have not seen doctor yet don't want to go to hospital again.

James Frank is Assistant Professor of Medicine and Director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the V.A. Medical Center in San Francisco.

This is potentially very serious. It sounds like it could be a leakage from your femoral artery, and people can bleed to death from such leakages after this kind of procedure. It's a potentially life-threatening problem, and one that calls for an immediate visit to the nearest emergency room.