I had a sonargram and my doctor told me that I had a small...

Jules asked...

I had a sonogram and my doctor told me that I had a small ball of fat on my kidney. Is this dangerous? She didn't seem to be too concerned.

Upon reading this question, I had some thoughts.  First, why was an ultrasound of your kidneys ordered?  Are you having problems?  Or, was this just an incidental finding on an ultrasound of the abdomen?

To be honest, I am not sure what she means by a "ball of fat".  The kidneys are naturally surrounded by fat in your body, as it helps protect and cushion them.  Perhaps she was referring to a lipoma, which is a fatty growth that can occur sometimes in the body, but they are usually not a problem.  She could also be referring to a cyst, but usually these are not fat, but a growth as well.  

If you are really curious about your results, you can always ask for a copy of the written report to review yourself.  I will warn you, most of these types of tests reveal all kinds of things that are inside of you, but will never cause you any problems.  I am sure if it was something really serious, your doctor would have told you.