What are my risks of heart failure if I have two collapsed arteries?

Jdnglo asked...

Is this common and what are my risks of heart failure? I had a quadruple bypass in 2007 and was recently told I had a blockage. My cardiologist did a cardio catherization at the hospital and said that I had 2 collapsed arteries and nothing could be done. I was told that the arteries couldn't be bypassed because there was no flow. He said the 2 main arteries were working fine. Is that it? Nothing can be done? Has anyone else had this. I had never heard of 2 arteries collapsing and still being able to keep going on the others.

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

Unfotunately after bypass surgery sometimes the bypass grafts collapse or close down. This is especially true when the leg veins are used as a bypass graft. Our bodies are amazing though and are able to try and deal with heart blockages by growing new blood vessels. When the main blood vessels in the heart develop narrowings over time our heart can compensate and grow what are called collateral blood vessels to supply the area where the blockage is located. These collateral vessels are small but many times are able to provide adequate blood flow to the heart muscle. You may have some of these collateral blood vessels. There may be options available such as medications and EECP which is external counterpulsation therapy. You may want to discuss these options with your healthcare provider. Also keeping your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar controlled, maintaining an appropriate weight and regular exercise are of utmost importance.

Jdnglo answered...

Thanks, This was very helpful

I had quad bypass in l996 and am doing fine. I am 81 yrs young. I asked by cardiologist what happens to the bypasses over time and got essentially the same answer that you have got, the heart grows new blood vessels and keeps on trucking. Just keep on doing what you can as long as you can and don't obsess about the bypass. Let you wife do that.

Example: I was outside yesterday cutting back trees in my back yard. Sweating like crazy and hauled off 3 truck loads of tree limbs. Felt better than I ever felt in a long time. Sat down occasionaly and drank a lot water didn't have any bad side effects.

Kacy21 answered...

My husband had 4 bypasses and they collapsed within 4 months leaving him worse off than he was before surgery. Another group of doctors tried to reopen the one that was causing contrast level 8 pain & said that it was like a brick wall - filled with plague. How can that plaque buildup happen in 4 months?

Cowgirlkarrie answered...

my dad was born with his right coronary artery on the left side of his heart and blood flow was cut off so the surgeon said if he didn't have a bypass he would have fell over dead or went into a deadly arythmia and wouldn't be able to shock him out of it. so e had the surgery jan 13, 2017 and spent 7 days in the hospital. we brought him home last Thursday jan 19th. wasn't feeling good and by sunday the 22 his blood pressure was bottoming out and he was pail as a ghost and broke out in a cold clamy sweat. that night he was crying with gas pains going from the chest around to his back. I got him to the hospital and they found out threw ekg he had no blood flow to the right artery. they rushed him back to the heart hospital he had his surgery and they found out his right artery they just put in that came from the leg had collapsed and had 100% blocked the artery so they rushed him to cath lab and used balloon to open the artery back up and put in 2 stents. said if I hadn't got him back to hospital when I did he would have died. my question is since it has happened can it happen again in another artery? and how common is this?