Are there facilities that we can place my schizophrenic mother?

4 answers | Last updated: Nov 19, 2016
Nancycrumb9205 asked...

My  mother suffers from schizophrenia, and now has decided that she wants to leave my father and live on her own. However, she is unable to take care of herself, or all the medication she's required to take on a regular basis. Is there a safe place like an assisted living facility that she can go to? I'm not sure if she qualifies for such places.

Expert Answers

Nan Hayes is founder of, the national resource network of Certified Relocation and Transition Specialists for seniors, and President of RightSized Living, a senior home transition service in Illinois.

There is a good chance Assisted Living provides a good option for your mother, but much more information is required. Your mother’s choice for housing will require financial and medical assessments.

To learn more about your local resources, contact your county senior services organization, typically listed in the front of your local phone directory.

As you begin to address the specifics with your mother, you may also contract the services of a Care Manager.

Both can help provide local options and advice to he[p you get started.

You can also search for a list of local assisted living facilities. Make appointments and visit the communities to get a better understanding of  services, assessment, medical  and financial requirements for each. 


Community Answers

A fellow caregiver answered...

My sister has suffered with Schizophrenia for over 30 years. She and my family went through hell trying to find a place for her where she would be safe. I am so happy there is a site like this for people to turn to, to have there questions read and answered with helpful suggestions. Our family did not have that. My sister now resides in a nursing home, under heavy medications. Thank God for

D s north answered...

Look at Dayspring Village in NorthEast florida Our adult son is schizophrenic and lives there. We have been extremely pleased.

Cindybbusy answered...

We are looking for assistance in the Houston, TX area for our 38 year old son. My husband and I both work full time and we are not home to give him his meds. When he takes them regularly, his symptoms are manageable. But, when he doesn't take them, or takes the wrong ones, his symptoms are nor prevalent. Is there any one that can help us?