Mom has Alzheimer's - is moving from my house to my brother's in another state a good idea?

Donnabuc asked...

I need some feedback on an issue that has come up. My Mother is and A/D patient and she has been living with us for over a year and for various reasons my brother who lives out of state is going to take her in because he thinks Assisted Living is beneath her. How well does a person with this condition adapt to a totally different climate and environment? she has only been out of Texas once in her whole life and will be going to Tennessee to live....just wondering how that affects a person especially the way she is, if it will have a traumatic impact which I personally think it will and whether she adapts or not, being away from 4 of her 6 six kids and friends, from church, and all around atmosphere.

Helene Bergman, LMSW, is a certified geriatric care manager (C-ASWCM) and owner of Elder Care Alternatives, a professional geriatric care management business in New York City. She consults with nursing homes and daycare programs to develop specialized programs for Alzheimer's patients.

Relocation for an older adult with or without Alzheimer's Disease can be 'traumatic'. The degree of effect often will depend upon what stage she is in- early, moderate or advanced. If she is still oriented to place, and very aware of her surroundings, the effect will be greater and she will need more support to adjust. If she is disoriented to place, and significantly memory impaired, she may not realize the change as much. Of course, if she is surrounded by family and given attention and love, she will adapt sooner.