As my father's guardian, am I responsible for his financial needs if he is unable to meet them?

Abby asked...

As guardian over my father, am I responsible for his financial needs if he is unable to meet them?

Your father's debts will remain his debts.

In general, as legal guardian or conservator, you will be personal liable for debts you officially incur on his behalf only if:

• you agreed in advance to be personally responsible, such as by co-signing or guaranteeing a particular transaction
  • you are liable for the debts because of another legal relationship that results in a duty of support, such as you claim your father as a dependent
  • your negligence caused the debt, or
  • you acted beyond your legal authority as guardian or conservator in incurring the debt.

Joanne crow answered...

As a legal guardian responsible for funeral costs if not affordable by the disabled person. My stepbrother is legal guardian. What I'm asking my brother is his legal guardian. My brother was a former veteran in the early 80's with the Army. I know the VA pays for certain benefits regarding his death. Now the legal guardian is trying to put this upon me. My brother, Phillip, is criticial, about to go to hospice. I'm on SSDI and cannot afford this responsibility. If you can help me, it would be so appreciated. Thank you Joanne