Is congestive heart failure hereditary?

1 answer | Last updated: Jan 31, 2015

Is Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) hereditary? My Mom passed away from it and several of her siblings. I was diagnosed with early CHF and am taking medicine for it.

Congestive heart failure (CHF) is not really a hereditary condition.  However, many of the diseases that can cause CHF do run in families.  Examples of diseases that can lead to CHF and are hereditary include heart valve abnormalities, coronary artery disease, and hypertension (high blood pressure).  

Since you have "early" CHF, it is important that you take good care of yourself.  Make sure your blood pressure is well controlled, and that you get some regular exercise.  Follow up with your health care provider regularly so that you can keep your symptoms manageable.