I want to support my wife while her father is dying; what can I do?

Dan Tobin, M.D. is the CEO of Care Support of America, a national service providing telephonic and local nurse counsel to adult children caring for aging parents. Dr. Tobin is the author of books and articles focused on the practical and positive aspects of family caregiving.

Greetings:

If your wife's father is dying it will be helpful to be as supportive as possible. Some of the valuable questions you can ask are:

1. How is she doing coping with the stress? Does the family have supportive help dealing with the dying process from a doctors office, certified homecare or hospice?

2. Is there professional help in terms of counseling available from a local person . If Hospice is involved they are aware of the type of guidance that can be helpful.

3. Be sure to follow your wife's lead and ask her how you can best support her during this difficult time. See how she is doing day to day and look for professional help in the community .

All the best,

Dan Tobin