How can I find a Parkinson's support group?

Karan asked...

I need a "Parkinson's support group" for care-giving family members. My mother is rapidly approaching advanced Parkinson's disease and I need some personal support with all of it! I Was told that hospice can help but am unable to find a support group in Healdsburg, Calfornia. Can you direct me?

Paula Spencer Scott is the author of Surviving Alzheimer's. A Met Life Foundation Journalists in Aging fellow, she writes extensively about health and caregiving; four of her family members have had dementia.

You're right that a support group can help provide practical and moral support. The American Parkinson's Disease Association offers a directory to its local chapters at its website www.apdaparkinson.org, and these chapters can give you leads to local groups -- and will definitely have other resources to share. Also check with your local area agency on aging, your mom's doctor, or the major hospitals in your area. Hospice programs typically are geared more to end-of-life support than chronic disease support.