What type of doctor can diagnose my thigh numbness?

Fatman1 asked...

I have had this numbness in my thigh area for over 4yrs and it began after a fall, I went to see my doctor but nothing was done, it was told me that it was because I was a diabetic. For the past month along with the numbness there is servere burning in my thigh, a large mass or lump and pain. Nothing shows up on xray. I'm schedule to see an orthopedic for a thigh strain.Is there any doctor can tell me what the problem is. I also had cryo for prostate cancer.

Expert Answer

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

Although numbness in the lower extremities is very common in diabetes, it usually starts in the feet, so your doctor's explanation of your thigh pain was not that accurate. When I read your question, my first thought about the initial cause of your numbness was a back injury when you fell, specifically in your lumbar spine (L2-3).

However, now you say you have a lump/mass in you leg and the pain is severe. Hopefully, when you see the orthopedic doctor, they can help tell you what the lump is. Since the xrays are normal, you do not have a fracture or bone problem, which is good news with your history of prostate cancer. However, the ortho doctor may need to do a MRI or CT scan if the lump is worrisome.