Should I be worried about all of the tiny white bumps on my back and my chest?

Mr bumps asked...

i have a bunch of tiny white bumps on my back and on my chest ..should i be worried???

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH, is a board-certified dermatologist specializing in medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology, including Mohs micrographic skin cancer surgery. In addition to her work in private practice, Krant is assistant clinical professor of dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

Mr Bumps, It can be a little difficult to diagnose "tiny white bumps" on the internet with no photograph or in person examination, but there are many conditions that could cause this that are nothing to be worried about. If they came out all of a sudden and have no redness associated, but seem to "wipe away" easily, they may be a type of heat rash called miliaria crystallina (superficial heat rash). If they have been there a while and seem to be small hard collections just under the skin surface, they may be tiny benign harmless cysts. If they are a little dried out looking and have been there a while, they could be benign growths called seborrheic keratoses. In any event, the best thing to do is probably to go see a dermatologist in person for an evaluation, just in case there is anything else to be concerned about. There are over 3,000 skin conditions, so until they are seen in person by a dermatologist (the only type of physician that specializes in skin), it will be hard to be sure. I wish you luck with the outbreak and hope it resolves soon. -Dr. Krant