Why do I get cramping in the arch of my right foot when exercising?

babykitty asked...

Why do I get cramping in the arch of my right foot when exercising? (pilates)

Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle care to all types of patients, including the geriatric population in her area. With the American Podiatric Medical Association, she has worked to educate the public on foot and ankle health.

There are several reasons you might be experiencing foot cramps while exercising. Here are some ideas and tips: 1. Dehydration can be a cause, so be sure to drink plenty of fluids before, during and after your pilates class. 2. Cramping can also be caused by a lack of potassium or calcium in your system. Foods high in potassium include kiwi fruit and bananas. Foods high in calcium include milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. 3. Stretching can be helpful in preventing cramps. With your foot at 90 degrees to your leg, bend your toes back to stretch the muscles in the arch of the foot. 4. Massage can also help. Use a tennis ball or golf ball and roll your foot, massaging the arch.