I am dads caregiver

Bookworm58 asked...

I have health problems of my own and my dr suggested I get out and get exercise and change my diet. I joined a gym and changing my eating habits from bad to good. My dad fusses about being alone but he is okay. I have to take care of myself so I can take care of him. He makes me feel really quilty but I am going to do what I have to do anyway. I am trying to be patient and not get upset just because he gets upset. That would not be good for either of us. Am I doing the right thing?

Anniealbret answered...

Is there anyone who could sit with your father at times to give you the break you need?

Bookworm58 answered...

I do have neighbors that will check on him if I go somewhere. I am very grateful of course. Plan to stay overnite at a hotel and I wont have to worry about my dad while I am gone. I do this every few months. I just need my own space sometimes. But I am still only a phone call away if he needs me. sandy lewis

Sccggirl answered...

That sounds like a good idea to take a break and give yourself a mini vacation

Minute women inc answered...

Taking care of yourself is most important, if you are not around - then no one will be there to take care of your father. Eating right and exercising are the first steps to healthy living.

It also sound that your father is giving you a lot of grief over being away from him. You may have to sit down with him and really explain your situation, and why you have to take this time away from him.

If you need a mini-vacation, or just sometime to get away everyday, that is what home care is for. You can have someone come in as often or as little as you like, to supervise and be an companion to your father, if you do not have any other family or friends that can help you.

Than answer to your question is yes, you are doing the right thing for you and you father.

Ryan Director www.minutewomeninc.com

Proudmary answered...

Adult Day Services really help families too, I work at one, gives family time or time to run errands/work. Most areas have one. It's a good bit of paperwork but most insurances pay and it gives you peace. Not all seniors like it at first but given the chance to be with peers they end up liking it and have a sense that they are helping and making friends. Frankly, some parents might need a break from their kids too. No offense to you, please don't think I was talking about you. People can contact their local ADRC (Aging and Disability Resource Center)

Would a health alert system, or personal response system, help?