How can my husband be paid to take care of me 24/7? I am schizophrenic.

Bzeeb1 asked...
im skitzophrenic and have other major health issues how do i get my a husband paid for being my 24/7 care giver i have dr..s orders for 24/7 on medicaid and ssi.i live in indiana i their recources to help and does he haveto have power of attorney over me or gaurdianship.

Expert Answer

Because you qualify for Medicaid, there may be a program in your state that can pay you directly for in-home care, which you could then use to pay your husband to provide that care. Normally, for someone on Medicaid who qualifies for regular home care, Medicaid provides it through a certified home care agency. But in some states there's a special program that directly pays the person in need of care the same amount Medicaid would pay an aide from a home care agency. The person needing care can spend these funds on anyone she chooses to take care of her. She can also use some of the money to make home improvements for safety or comfort, or to buy personal care items.

This arrangement works through a state program called Cash and Counseling, or a similar program. To find out more about these cash assistance programs, go to the page on this site called How to Get Paid for Being Your Parent's Caregiver.

The catch is that your state has to be offering such a program. Indiana does not appear to participate in the Cash and Counseling program itself, but it may have its own similar program. You can find out about whether Indiana Medicaid has such a state cash assistance program, and apply for it if it does, through your local Medicaid office.