How can I get paid for taking care of parents?

10 answers | Last updated: Nov 29, 2016
Kiefer asked...

How can I get paid for taking care of parents?

Expert Answers

There are two ways you might get paid for taking care of your parents -- in addition to your parents paying you directly. Depending on the rules in your state, you might be able to get paid as a home care aide if your parents qualify for the state's Medicaid program and Medicaid providing them with home care. But for you to get paid to provide that home care, you'd have to be certified by the state as a home care provider. To get certified, you have to go through training that meets state and Medicaid requirements. Such training is often available for low fees at local community colleges or adult schools. One place to start finding out about getting certified is your county's local social services or human services department; ask them about Medicaid caregiver certification. Or, you can use an Internet search engine -- in the search field, enter the name of your state plus the words "Medicaid paid caregiver."

Another way to get paid is if your parents have long-term care insurance and they qualify for the insurance policy's home care benefits. Some long-term care insurance policies only pay for home care that is provided through a licensed home care agency. But other policies pay for care provided by individual aides if they are certified by the state as home care aides. And still other policies pay a daily benefit amount directly to the insured person, who can turn around and use it pay anyone. If your parents have such a policy, carefully read the sections of the policy that describe home care benefits.

Community Answers

Im still me! answered...

im in ga and been bedridden for yrs now,i can walk with assistance, my daughter is 20 and was even discharged from the army because of the hardship of my health, she cant work shes with me all the time, i didnt know i could get her paid, im on permanent disablility, and right now with a broke hip since 08 that just wont heal, how do i get her paid for having no life??? I have medicaire and also a minor 17 yr old daughter.

Winternatt answered...

A man diagnosed with dementia and cancer is renting from me,he was releaded from the hospital and has hospice coming by ,he wants me to look after him also ,he lives upstairs and I have access to him,my question is how do I get compensated for caring for him,he needs 24 hour care ,he cant leave the house.He worked for GM and has Medicaid,blue cross I think.If I cant care for him its possible he will have to go to a nursing home and he likes it here. he lives in Michigan

A fellow caregiver answered...

I have a father who needs care 24-7 can I get paid for taking carof him?

Needler answered...

dear i'm still me!

I found this info at this web page:

(these are links to the state agencies)

this is californias rules to qualify for medicade (called medical in california): but your state may have the same this is a quote from General Program Requirements: "In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the State of California, a US national, citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien, in need of health care/insurance assistance, whose financial situation would be characterized as low income or very low income. You must also be either pregnant, blind, have a disability or a family member in your household with a disability, be responsible for children under 19 years of age, or be 65 years of age or older. "

Painter4you answered...

Mr. Matthews has it right on. I'm taking care of my 97 yr old mother alone at home. I became ill 3 yrs ago and had to stop working. We've been living on her SSI and stock dividends. We don't qualify for any state or Federal aid due to her "income", good health and her/my assets. Guess you must be destitute to get any help. I'm better now and ready to get back to work. I'll have to start selling her stocks to pay for a home health aide to free me up. I'll also use some of the procedes to pay for eye and dental surgery to correct problems that arose the past 3 yrs. plus help me promote a new business venture since I can't paint anymore. Was told I could treat these used procedes as deferred wages for staying home with mom.

Brewercares answered...

I own a state licensed home care agency in Nashville, TN. On two occasions, I have had clients who had long-term care insurance that required the services to be provided by a state licensed agency, and family members wanted to care for their own parents. I engaged them as caregivers with my company, paid them as I would any caregiver on staff, and long-term care insurance paid for the care. Easy solution in such a case.

Mymomscaregiver answered...

If you live in Illinois. You should call your state department on aging. They will direct your path. I get paid to care for my mom. I called Catholic Charities. They sent out a social worker to evaluate her. They only needed her social security to provide her with services. She has medicare part a&b and supplemental medicare part d plan. She is not on medicaid. Her assets were not a consideration. 30 days post their evaluation. I was told she was eligible for 5 hours a day for 5 days a week. All I needed to do was pick a home care provider. I went to the home care provider and asked to be her preferred caregiver. They set me up for paid training. Once done I was on the payroll. I had been taking care of my mother for over 5 years before I became aware of this, along with my wheelchair bound sister. I had several social workers. None told me about this. A co-worker informed me that he took care of his father and was paid to do so. I hope this information helps some of the people on this site. As for myself I am now retired. I just purchased a long term care policy.

Eugene 1 answered...

The following is a 'hidden' program.

A Little Known Benefit For Aging Veterans: [Link no longer active]

This is a Department of Veterans Affairs benefit called the Aid and Attendance and Housebound Improved Pension benefit, known as A&A, which can cover the costs of caregivers in the home (including sons and daughters who are paid to be caregivers, though not spouses) or be used for assisted living or a nursing home.

The benefit is not insignificant: up to $2,019 monthly for a veteran and spouse, and up to $1,094 for the widow of a veteran.

To bridge the information gap, Ms. Burak introduced , a Web site and a 501(c)(3) charity, in 2005, to provide information about A&A eligibility and how to apply.

To qualify, a veteran need NOT have suffered a service-related injury. He or she only had to have clocked at least one day of his or her 90-day minimum military service during a time of war and need caregiving for activities of daily living.

If you know the program’s name and search the Veterans Affairs Web site for Aid and Attendance, the first page states that you are not eligible for A&A unless you already qualify for a basic Veterans Affairs pension — for which you have to be “totally disabled.”

Don't let that "Totally Disabled" statement mislead you!

When a wartime veteran turns 65, the V.A. automatically classifies them as ‘TOTALLY DISABLED,’ And if they meet income and asset criteria, they are eligible for a basic pension.

The department does not reveal maximum allowable assets. But $80,000 (your house and one car are exempt from this total) is a good estimate, though someone with more assets could still qualify if expenses were quite high.

Income limits are not set in stone either. But the maximum is around $20,000 to $23,000 after deducting costs for medical expenses, caregivers, assisted living or nursing home fees.

Study the article above and then go to the nonprofit website for free assistance to apply for this wonderful HIDDEN program:

I am not associated with the website, but I wish I had found it because I was my Mother's sole caretaker for the past 15 years and this would have raised my Mother's quality of life tremendously. She passed away last August 13, 2014 and my Heart is broken... Eugene September 28, 2014

Ann76 answered...

Very helpful article, thank you. It will be very cool if you write some other articles on this theme. I found one about care of aging parents from a distance[] and know for sure this information will help anyone.