What can I do to get money from a trust fund?

A fellow caregiver asked...

A trust fund was left to my two brothers, two sisters, and me. Three of the siblings received money from the trust, but one brother and I did not because we both have moved out of state. What can I do about getting money from the trust fund?

Expert Answer

Liza Hanks is the founder and owner of FamilyWorks Estate Planning, a law firm with offices in Campbell and Los Altos, California, and the author of The Busy Family's Guide to Estate Planning (Nolo, 2007).

If you are named as a beneficiary of a trust set up in California, you need not live in the state to be entitled to take money under it.

And California law gives you the right to see a copy of the trust document as it relates to you.

If the trustee will not give you a copy, or gives you a copy, but isn't doing what the trust says to do with respect to you, you should hire a lawyer to help enforce the terms of the trust.