How can I get help to prevent caregiver burnout?

Speed1 asked...

how to get help for myself i am self destructing? how do i get help for the burn-out that i am going through my mother has gotten worse in the last 3 months i have no help and need to talk to a person byy phone pls not to good on computer

Wantmymomback answered...

Speed, we are all here for you - please let us know what is wrong and how we can help you....click back onto our stage group...we are waiting to help...we've all been where you are...hang on and let us help...SOME OF US HAVE SENT MORE INFO FOR YOU IN A HUG...PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL...LET US HELP YOU

Capt. foxie answered...

Speed you need to send a hug or prayer to me and talk to me... It can be totally confidential...between you and I...but I need you to reach out for me...lslvfx....

Caring community answered...

Hello "speed1,"

If by "self destructing" you mean that your life is in danger and/or you're having thoughts of suicide, please call 911 or a toll-free crisis hotline (such as 1-800-784-2433 or 1-800-273-8255) immediately. If your condition or situation is this severe, these are urgent options to assist you in getting help offline ASAP. A licensed therapist or doctor is another resource offline that you can turn to for help with your emotional or mental health.

Caring.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. We offer information about caregiver burnout and depression, as well as other caregiving topics. If you aren't currently in an urgent mental health crisis, here is some information that you may find helpful:

How Can I Tell the Difference Between the Normal Stress of Caregiving and Depression?

How to Avoid Caregiver Burnout

Caregiver Wellness

Self Caring

You may also find non-urgent online support from caregivers in the Caring.com community.

Nhluver answered...

first thing to do is take a few deep breaths,calm down and start looking into some volunteer people in your area. I too have my dementia mother 24/7, just gave up my life in NY to take care of her and my father who just passed 3 wks ago. Even if it for a few hours,take care of yourself and try not to get overwhelmed. Write in a journal,just short notes on your day, Good and bad. I does help. You are giving the gift of love, and you are a better person for it. My heart is with you also. PS-I have numerous years of training in this field-did it for a living-but when its your own, and entirely different story. Just remember--Its not her fault