How long does it take to regain speech after a stroke?

My uncle had a stroke two months ago. His recovery has been good so far. The stroke affected his right side slightly but the worst part is that his speech is gone. He can say a fey words like yes, no and ok. Its very hard to talk to him and he gets upset when he can't talk back. I was just wondering how long does it usually take for his speech to come back?

Unfortunately, speech disturbance is one aspect that recovers slowly, if ever. In general, recovery from a stroke is not as predictable as it is in other diseases. Take for example a broken arm: you set the bone, place a cast, wait a few weeks, and the bone recovers. In stroke, although improvement from the initial symptoms is the rule, there is a tremendous amount of variability in the degree of progress. Although some patients return to normal, many others make only modest strides, and some have little or no improvement. In general, the vast majority of recovery is seen in the first 6 months after the stroke, although people often tell stories of continued recovery out to 2 years.

Prof. woman answered...

As a speech pathologist who specializes in speech/language therapy post-stroke, I can tell you that there is no quick or easy recovery of communication function. I recommend a speech evaluation to determine diagnosis, (there are several tyes), and prognosis. It is not accurate or fair to compare one person's recovery to another, due to the many variables affecting speech/language, including: location and extent of brain trauma ,age and health, and how quickly and frequently speech services are implemented. Good luck!

it helped a little.

My mom had a stroke September 2009, she left the hospital after 6 weeks with very little speech, just yes/no, the rest was a nonsensical. Today, almost 18 months after her stroke, 6 months of outpatient speech therapy and she continued speech therapy at a local university's speech clinic. Her improvments have slowed down but she continues to get additional speech back. We are able to have telephone conversations, chat during dinner (mostly w/ leading questions from me) and she can communicate how she is feeling. The speech is still choppy but we are learning to live with our 'new normal'. Keep the faith and a positive attitude...and practice, practice, practice.

Tonia r. answered...

My mother had a massive stroke May 2011, 11 hours had past before she was found having the stroke. My mom is 68 years of age with heart disease and 3 types of cancer. The stroke affected the right side leaving a large portion of her brain damaged, so I was told by her Neurologist. She is unable to walk or talk or do much of anything for herself without my assistance. Mom went through a year of speech therapy which basically helped us to communicate better using gestures. She is able to make sounds and that's it. I recently asked her doctor if he thought she would ever be able to talk again and his honest opinion was that after 2 years and with very little progress, it would take a miracle but not impossible. Some people go years without speaking and miraculously begin to speak, so I'm still hopeful this will be my mothers case. This disability still frustrates her at times but she's learning to cope with it.

Donna w answered...

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle's stroke. My father had a large left side stroke last November. His speech was severely affected. When he left the hospital he was like. Your uncle with just a few basic words. Now, almost a year later, he can say repeat back most words - not perfectly, but understandable, and has a few phrases that he can say on his own. If your uncle is to make progress he will probably need more than the 2 or so hours of speech therapy per week that his insurance will cover. I work with my dad for about 30 minutes twice a day. We do this on FaceTime using flash cards. If your uncle is open to it, you could do this and I would expect that you'll see progress. These times with my dad have become very special to me and to him. I pray that you can find a way to help your uncle in this difficult time. Blessings, Donna

Brandon5 answered...

Hi. I had 3 minor strokes on March 2nd 2016. 1St i lost comple feeling and use of my left side. In 10 minutes i regained comple use of my body with some droopyness on my face. 2ND i lost partial use of left side again. motion slowed down and my speach was affected. 3rd minor stroke same as 2nd minor stroke.. I got to the hospital within 4 hours. Intime to receive tpa treatment. I began to recover imiditely. March 4th my girlfriend gave birth tour son in a different hospital. I had a desire to get better and listened to hipnotherapy audios. After recovering as much as I though I was going to recover. I checked my self out of the hospital On March 6 2016 checked myself out of the hospital to be with my son and girlfriend. I walked our of the hospital with complete function of my body a slight sler and plenty of medication.

Tinabella answered...

My 90 year old father had s stroke 3 weeks ago. When I got to the hospital he could not speak and his right side was paralyzed. I will never forget the look in his eyes, and what they appeared to be saying to me. We were all scared, but we took one day at a time. The type of stroke and where it is in the brain is the most telling answer. My father had a hemorrhagic left side stroke deep in the brain close to the Thalamus. Within 3 days he began to be able to wiggle his toes slightly. After a week lifting arms and legs a bit. Today 3 weeks later can take 10 steps before falling. His speech was impossible, at first, days later garbled non sense to a few audables. Every day it seemed to change. Now, it is interesting he can repeat what you write, vut whether he understands is still questionable. It is getting better, however his spirit broken. My father is a story teller and that is why I will keep it IS.

Grimes answered...

My 70 year old mother had a massive left side of the brain hemorrhagic stroke about two months ago. Since then, the left side of her body is completely paralyzed and she has lost speech. She has also lost the ability to read and recognize letters of the alphabet. She is going through physical, occupational and speech therapy. The doctors are of the opinion that she will probably never gain the use of her right hand back again, and that the best that will happen is that she may be able to take a few steps. As far as speech, the doctors are not very hopeful there either.