How long after heart bypass should you expect to experience chest pain?

Dougie1 asked...

How long after heart bypass should you expect to experience chest pain from the procedure (not angina)? Would it be similar to the healing time (6-8weeks)? Thank you.

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

Procedural or incisional chest pain after bypass surgery typically lasts for about 6 weeks but should lessen over time. It takes the sternum (breast bone) 6 weeks to heal so once this is completed the chest discomfort usually goes away. Any type of chest pain or discomfort should be discussed with your healthcare provider to make sure it is not angina.

Nancy73 answered...

I had triple bypass Aug, 2006 and recovered enough in two weeks to go back to work in my office. I had pains from surgery for a few weeks, but not bad enough to stop me. The only pains I still get are when I cough or sneeze. It helps to press the middle of my chest to stop the pain. Good luck to you!