(800) 973-1540

How long can a person live with a feeding tube?

5 answers | Last updated: May 11, 2015
Puerto Rico asked...

How long can a person live with a feeding tube before reaching a critical state? What's the typical life expectancy with a feeding tube?

Answers

To be honest, this really depends on the person and why the tube is being placed. If someone has a stroke and cannot swallow, they can often survive for many See also:
What is the life expectancy for someone with advanced congestive heart failure?

See all 194 questions about Diet and Nutrition
years with a feeding tube.

People who get feeding tubes due to weight loss from dementia tend not to do well over time. Studies show that tube feedings in these patients do not really increase weight or reduce aspiration risk. Aspiration (swallowing secretions/ food into the lungs) can cause severe pneumonia, which are difficult to treat. Since these patients tend to be frail already, this type of pneumonia can often be overwhelming to their fragile system, especially if it happens often. Therefore, they can continue to decline despite having artificial nutrition.

Please speak to a health care provider you trust about making this decision. It really needs to be discussed, with the risks and the benefits clearly outlined for you.

billybutt answered...

a person with HD can live with liquid and the feeding tube dispite the doctors orders of nothing by mouth. i fouund coffee inthe mornings is fine also giving him ice cream in the evenings plus the feeding by tube.

frank808 answered...

My father-in-law is 91 yrs. old and has had a P.E.G. tube for at least 15 years. The tube was placed due to difficulty swallowing after his second stroke.

64px

Our daughter has a rare variation of Downs Syndrome and she has had a g tube for 20 years. She is as well as she has ever been. God is merciful.

Miracle M2 answered...

I am 68 years old ( 6' 3" --183 lbs,) I have had a feeding tube for four years ( tongue cancer / high dosage radiation and chemo ). I have problems with aspiration into my lungs -- I work out 6 days a week ( light weights, push ups, etc. ) and I walk 1/2 mile 7 days a week -- My schedule, with tube feedings ( 2 times a day ) , hydration ( 6 to 8 times a day ), tube area cleaning ( very important and time consuming --2 to 3 times a day ), showers, and basic activities ( Fantasy Football and much more ) along with my work outs and walking -- takes UNBELIEVABLE DETERMINATION. During my walks, I usually pray ( you can look up at the sky and talk directly with God ) -- AND my absolute conclusion is -- Prayer is VERY important -- you MUST ask for God's help -- Thank You God for helping me and letting me live. -- My point is -- If I can do it -- You can do it. -- May God bless you !