How do you get a conservatorship reversed ?

Junen asked...

How do you get a conservatorship reversed when the individual has made progress and is now able to manage an account?

Expert Answer

Barbara Repa, a senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in the Workplace (Nolo), now in its 10th edition.

It is much easier to end a conservatorship than it is to secure one in the first place. It must be terminated by the court that authorized it—most likely, the local probate court, which should be listed on the official paperwork.

Your quickest route is simply to call the clerk at the relevant court and ask about the procedure followed there. In most cases, you will not need to hire an attorney for help. All courts will require completing some paperwork to make the switch—and some require a personal appearance or personal examination of the person for whom the conservatorship was secured.