My Father is currently on Dialysis and has had Renal failure...

My father is currently on dialysis and has had renal failure and he has heart challenges and high blood pressure and diabetes. He's 78 and though he's very sick he still keeps his head up. He is currently living in a nursing home and I wanted to know what are my options for bringing him home to live with me even though he needs 24-hour care? We are willing to do whatever we can to help and we believe our home would be a better environment for him. Nevertheless, it's the 24-hour care and the expense involved will be great.  What options do I have for covering them?

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

Thank you for your tenderness and willingness to take care.

I would suggest you contact the Area Agency on Aging in your area.Ask if your state has a Home and Community based waiver program. They will help you determine whether your father would qualify for their services. Since your father is a man of spirit (who keep his head up) you may be able to draw in the help that you need. Please ask for any community based or nursing home without walls or Pace programs.

You will needs help with transportation for dialysis, dietary help for the diabetes, and perhaps adult day care would help with socialization and respite.

Also you must explore any help from supplemental insurance that your father may have. Does he have any long term care insurance?

To help determine the financial help that you may need, ask these questions:

1.   Does he sleep through the night? Will you need help at night?

2.   How complicated is his medication and dietary routine? Will you need a visiting nurse?

3.   Does your father walk?

4.   How much would it cost in your city and state for transportation to dialysis and other doctor appointments? Is there a city van or will you need to hire a driver/attendant to help?

5.   Do you have other family members who could give you some respite time such as some weekends away or would you have to pay for extra care?

6.   Can your father be left alone for periods of time while you go out to shop, run errands, or walk in the park?

7.   Is your home large enough for your father and perhaps another helper/family member who can provide another set of eyes, ears, and arms?

8.   Is it possible that your father is eligible for hospice or palliative care?Check with the doctor.

9.   Try to keep your mind open -- maybe you can do it, maybe you can’t.Your willingness and tenderness will find a way to take care, no matter the setting. Caring.com has added a section on local resources. Study it for more help and suggestions for your locale.