How Do I Include My Father in My Mother's Obituary?

Humpbackwhales! asked...

They were divorced and he has also passed away, years ago.

Rebekah Peoples, CFSP, CPC, Is a licensed funeral director and embalmer. She is passionate about serving others and believes that giving clients honest, accurate information empowers them to create tributes and services that are meaningful and appropriate.

Please accept my condolences in the death of your mother. Moms are pretty special.

In the obituary, survivors are usually listed first, such as you and your siblings and a current husband, if there is one. If there are other people who pre-deceased her, such as siblings, your father would be listed among them. It might be worded like this: she is predeceased by a brother, John Smith and her children's father, Sam Jones. (Of course you can list your father first and then her brother.) Other ways to word that would be "she is predeceased by her former husband, Sam Jones" or even "she is predeceased by her ex-husband, Sam Jones." These are all more accurate than referring to him as "her first husband" since that implies that they were married at the time of his death.

As her child, it ultimately is up to you (and your siblings) to word it however you are comfortable since only you know which terminology best describes her (and your) relationship with him.