How can I get paid for being a caregiver?

Mr.fixall asked...

Could someone tell me who to contact for getting paid as a caregiver for someone on SSDI and Medicare,?  Medicare will not pay for these services. I also take care of someone on SSI and Medicaid.  I am spending many hours everyday . I was told there are private places to go for help.  If anybody knows where please let me know.

Expert Answer

If either of the people you're caring for has low income and few assets (other than a home), he or she might qualify for a state-run program where you live, which can provide some payment directly for care in the home. The person you're caring for can then use this money to pay you.

These payments work through a state program called Cash and Counseling, or a similar program, often run through your state's Medicaid program. If the person you're caring for qualifies for home care under Medicaid, Medicaid would normally provide the home care through a certified home care agency. But this special program directly pays the person needing care the same amount Medicaid would pay an aide from a home care agency. The person needing care can spend these funds on you or anyone else he chooses to take care of him. He can also use some of the money to make home improvements for safety or comfort, or to buy personal care items.

To learn more about these cash assistance programs -- not all states have them -- go to the page on this site called How to Get Paid for Being Your Parent's Caregiver. You can help the people you're caring for apply for Cash and Counseling or a similar state cash assistance program, if your state has one, at a local Medicaid office. To find the local Medicaid office near you, contact the Eldercare Locator by phone toll-free at800-677-1116, or online you can go to any search engine and type in the word Medicaid and the name of your state.