How do I find a local doctor that specializes in dementia?

Diana1 asked...

I am having a difficult time finding a doctor familiar with and who can treat Dementia. My dad's primary care physician has said there is nothing he can do. Could someone provide a list of physicians in the Covington, Louisiana area? Your response is greatly appreciated.

Jytte Lokvig, PhD, coaches families and professional caregivers and designs life-enrichment programs and activities for patients with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia. Her workshops and seminars help caregivers and families create a healthy environment based on dignity and humor. She is the author of Alzheimer's A to Z: A Quick-Reference Guide.

Your local Alzheimer's Association may be able to give you names of local dementia doctors or gerontologists. Go to:, "Your community." When you talk to them, ask about a support group in your area. Personal references are the best. If you have no luck with that, try your local medical association. All else failing, I found the following listing for an Alzheimer's Care Facility near you. The head nurse or director should be able to give you some leads.

Wynwood of Mandeville 1414 N. Causeway Blvd. Mandeville, LA 70471 985-727-4011