How can I stop my overactive bladder from acting up during...

How can I stop my overactive bladder from acting up during sex?

Overactive bladder (OAB) can be a difficult and embarrassing problem, especially if it causes urges or incontinence during sex. Research has shown that OAB does affect sexual activity in more than 40% of people who have it, so you are not alone. First, talk with your partner about your condition. I know this may be difficult, but it will reduce embarrassment for you (and your partner) if an accident should occur. If they genuinely care for you, they should be understanding and willing to accommodate for your bladder issues. Here are some other things I would suggest:

1) Try different positions, as you may find that some positions irritate your bladder more than others.

2) If you suffer from vaginal dryness, use a water-based lubricant like KY Jelly, as this will be less irritating to the tissues around your vagina, and therefore less irritating to your bladder.

3) Make sure that you empty your bladder before and after sex.

4) Place absorbent towels or cloths on the bed to absorb any leakage, so you will not worry about having to clean up if you have an accident.

Lastly, I just want to make sure that you have gotten a full work-up and examination for your OAB. If not, you may want to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist. They can help you try Kegel exercises, medications, and behavioral and lifestyle changes that may help with your bladder problems. Good luck!

Davidmsw answered...

Not sure that the answer given was complete enough. A friend spoke of having spurts of what she once thought was urine from her urethra and also gushes from her vagina esp during orgasms. This does not have any taste of urine but some sweetness in fact but only during her numerous orgasms and again in varying amounts. She has read as have I of women with such ejaculations during orgasms and while initially embarrassed by her former husband who accused her of urinating in the bed, now understands that it is really tied to her sexuality and not a problem. Could this apply to more women also in the early 50 age range as she is?

This is not an answer but more question. I have OAB and when my husband and I have sex I become very very wet, to the point where it does not feel good to him. I am wondering if this is a result of the OAB and how can I be sure. I usually will orgasm before him to help it not be so wet, but lately even that does not help. How can I know what is causing this? I am 41, I thought woman were supposed to start drying up by this age?