How can I regulate my mother's bowel movements so they happen in the day time?

Mercy5921 asked...

My mother suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. She has a daily bowl movement usually at 2 or 4 in the morning. She takes her diaper off and makes a horrible, I mean horrible, mess on the bed. How can I regulate her bowl movements so they occur in the day time?

Ron Kauffman is a certified senior advisor (CSA), senior lifestyle radio host, syndicated newspaper columnist, and the author of Caring for a Loved One With Alzheimer's Disease. In addition, Kauffman is also the primary caregiver for his mother, who has Alzheimer's.

I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this challenging problem.

Since this doesn't deal directly with Alzheimer's care, my suggestion is that you talk with a physician, preferably a gastroenterologist as well as contact your local Alzheimer's Association.

Both should have suggestions based on their experiences as to ways to alter your mother's metabolism and bodily functions as well as ways to change her schedule and behavior to regulate her bowel movements to daytime hours, when she can be supervised and assisted.

This is not an uncommon occurrence, and there are professionals in your community who have dealt with this same issue, so your first step is to talk with people who have had similar experiences and find out how they were able to successfully deal with the problem.

Best of luck.

Caringdenise answered...

In addition to the expert suggestions you received, here are some informational resources on Caring.com that you may also find helpful...

How to Care for Someone With Fecal Incontinence - What causes it and what you can do

Incontinence Resource Center -- practical solutions for dealing with incontinence

Steps & Stages-- guidance for Alzheimer's and dementia caregiving

Steps & Stages also includes online support groups. Caregivers there may likewise have suggestions for you. You can join a group and start or join conversations here: https://www.caring.com/alzheimers-support

Thanks for asking!